Komen KC Wins National Promise Award
Susan G. Komen® Greater Kansas City wins National “Promise Award” at Annual Leadership Conference
Fort Worth, TX – Susan G. Komen Greater Kansas City was recognized for its innovative mission work at the breast cancer organization’s annual Leadership Conference in Fort Worth, TX this weekend. The local Komen Affiliate received “The Promise Award,” named in honor of the promise to end breast cancer Komen’s founder made to her dying sister, Susan Komen. The award recognizes the organization’s Affiliate that has demonstrated a commitment to forward thinking in reducing overall breast cancer mortality, as well as disparities in breast cancer mortality.
Through a variety of programs and initiatives Komen Kansas City has worked tirelessly to become a true catalyst for change within their community by providing meaningful education, increased funding and influential marketing campaigns. Based on the needs outlined in their community profile, they funded multiple grants geared towards helping minority women in need. Additionally, they have continued to address the barriers that many women face when it comes to breast health, partnering with various individuals within the community to address them.
One of their largest initiatives was the Wyandotte County Breast Cancer Taskforce, which addresses the concerns of late-stage breast cancer diagnoses. In addition, Komen KC partnered with other state cancer organizations to pass oral chemotherapy legislation. They have also positioned themselves as a leader in regional collaboration for Breast Cancer Awareness month, helping to share their professional knowledge as is relates to mission and marketing.
“Through collaboration, public policy efforts, community health and marketing campaigns, Komen Kansas City has managed to increase visibility within their service area and beyond,” said Chandini Portteus, Komen’s Chief Mission Officer. “In short, they increased their Affiliate’s opportunity for impact while setting a standard for upholding our shared promise.”
“We are humbled to have been given one of the top affiliate awards in the Susan G. Komen network,” said Komen Kansas City Executive Director Carli Good. “Our team is so proud of the work they do for the underserved in our local community. It’s our passion and mission to ensure that all women have healthcare that is both affordable and accessible and that all breast cancer survivors get the treatment and support they need. We fight for this every single day through partnerships we have created both locally and nationally. We know that together we can fulfill the promise to end breast cancer forever.”
ABOUT SUSAN G. KOMEN® AND THE GREATER KANSAS CITY AFFILIATE
Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Since its founding in 1982, Komen has funded more than $800 million in research and provided more than $1.7 billion in funding to screening, education, treatment and psychosocial support programs serving millions of people in more than 30 countries worldwide. Komen was founded by Nancy G. Brinker, who promised her sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would end the disease that claimed Suzy’s life. Visit komen.org or call 877.GO.KOMEN. Connect with us on Facebook at /SusanGKomen and Twitter @SusanGKomen.
Through events like the Komen Kansas City Race for the Cure®, the Kansas City Affiliate has invested more than $10 million in community breast health programs in a 17-county area. Up to 75% of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stay in the Kansas City region. The remaining income (25%) goes to the national Susan G. Komen Grants Program to fund research. For more information visit KomenKansasCity.org. Continue the conversation with us on Facebook at /KomenKansasCity, Twitter @KomenKansasCity and Instagram @KomenKC.