Susan G. Komen Awards $410K in Breast Cancer Research Funding to KU
SUSAN G. KOMEN®’S 2015 BREAST CANCER RESEARCH FUNDING TARGETS EARLY-CAREER INVESTIGATORS, NEW THERAPIES, HEALTH INEQUITIES AND METASTATIC DISEASE
Kansas Researchers Receive $410,000 in Research Funding
DALLAS – Sept. 22, 2015 – Susan G. Komen, the world’s largest nonprofit funder of breast cancer research, announced new grants to 124 researchers in 25 states and 15 countries, with about half of the grants targeted to early-career researchers squeezed by stagnation in federal research dollars.
The grants include $410,000 in new funding for research at the University of Kansas Medical Center, bringing Komen’s total research investment in Kansas to $8,690,000 since 1982.
The 2015 research grants expand Komen’s ongoing commitment to funding early-career scientists, that is, recent graduates and those trying to establish independent research careers. This group has been especially hard hit by real-dollar declines of as much as 25 percent in federal research funding over the past decade.
“We committed two years ago to do all that we can to ensure that talented early-career investigators remain in the breast cancer research field, while continuing our support for established researchers,” said Komen President and CEO Judith A. Salerno, M.D., M.S. “We cannot afford to lose talented scientists to other fields for lack of funding.”
This year’s research slate brings Komen’s total research investment to more than $889 million since 1982, the largest of any nonprofit, and second only to the U.S. government.
Grants from Komen’s nearly $36 million research portfolio – including more than $17.6 million in grants awarded to early-career investigators – span the entire cancer continuum from prevention to treatments for aggressive and metastatic disease. These include:
- 36 grants to improve understanding of metastatic breast cancer
- 18 grants investigating how tumors develop drug resistance
- 19 grants related to the study of triple negative breast cancer – one of the most aggressive forms of the disease
- 15 grants working to identify and understand biological and socio-economic health inequities
- 13 grants seeking to develop new and novel therapies
Komen’s Investments in Kansas
Komen’s research program is funded in part by contributions from Komen’s nationwide network of Affiliates, which direct 25% of locally raised funds to Komen’s national research program. The remaining 75% of net funds are invested into community outreach programs that serve local women and men facing breast cancer.
Since 1994, Komen Kansas City has funded $15.4 million to community programs serving local women and men, while contributing $3.7 million to Komen research.
“We are so proud to have the support of this community as we help our friends, coworkers and neighbors who are facing breast cancer, and work for continued progress against breast cancer through research,” said Carli Good, executive director of the Greater Kansas City affiliate. “Funds raised from Race as well as all of our events go to support so many worthy local causes as well as scientific research each year.”
In Kansas, $410,000 will be invested in breast cancer research efforts. These funds include $405,000 to Christine Daley, Ph.D., of the University of Kansas Medical Center to support ongoing programs focused on addressing the disparities in breast cancer outcomes faced by American Indians, who are generally diagnosed at later stages and have an increased mortality from breast cancer.
A full list of Komen’s 2015 research grants can be found here.*
In addition to funding breast cancer research, Komen has invested more than $1.95 billion into community health outreach and global programs that serve hundreds of thousands of women and men annually through breast cancer health and support programs that screen, educate and provide financial, medical and psychosocial assistance.
For more information about Komen’s mission investment, please visit komen.org.
About Susan G. Komen®
Susan G. Komen is the world’s largest breast cancer organization, funding more breast cancer research than any other nonprofit while providing real-time help to those facing the disease. Since its founding in 1982, Komen has funded more than $889 million in research and provided $1.95 billion in funding to screening, education, treatment and psychosocial support programs serving millions of people in more than 30 countries worldwide. Komen was founded by Nancy G. Brinker, who promised her sister, Susan G. Komen, that she would end the disease that claimed Suzy’s life. Visit komen.org or call 1-877 GO KOMEN. Connect with us on social at ww5.komen.org/social.
*Contingent upon signed and executed contracts with Komen
About Susan G. Komen Greater Kansas City Affiliate
Through events like the Race for the Cure®, Rock the Ribbon & the Pink Promise Brunch the Kansas City Affiliate has invested more than $19 million in local community breast health programs in our 17-county service area and in research throughout the US with our national grants program. Up to 75% of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stay in the Kansas City region. The remaining income (25%) goes to the Susan G. Komen Grants Program to fund research. For more information visit KomenKansasCity.org or join the conversation on Facebook at facebook.com/KomenKansasCity, Twitter at @KomenKansasCity, Instagram @KomenKC, or our BehindTheRibbon Blog.